Creator: Maria Powalisz-Bardońska (1935-2021)
Established in: 1974
Material: lead, metal, overglaze paint, stained glass (patinated), tin (tin binder)
Dimensions (in meters): Height: 2.20 Width: 4
Origin: Stained Glass Workshop Powalisz, Poznań
Inventory no .: A-959 / 1-2
These stained-glass windows consist of 15 sections (five sections horizontally, in three rows) of colored glass patinated at the edges of the tin bands. They are characterized by a free composition of human figures, animals and plants. Rich colors, different sizes of glass elements set into multi-shaped frames, and some use of overglaze paints give the stained glass the form of a mosaic. Individual quarters were secured on the face with iron bars (so-called windchests) and enclosed in metal bars. The work signed: “Studios of Fine Arts in Poznań. Design and implementation by M. Powalisz-Bardońska 1974.”
The stained glass windows were made in 1974 on the basis of an agreement between the Museum of Agriculture and the State Enterprise “Pracownie Sztuk Plastycznych” in Warsaw, Poznań Branch. They were then incorporated into the walls of the connector of the new exhibition pavilion devoted to the subject of processing. They were made available to the public for the first time in 1975 as part of the 11-year celebration of the Agricultural Museum and the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Museum of Industry and Agriculture in Warsaw. After a thorough renovation in 2019, the stained glass windows were displayed in the new exhibition space of pavilions 4 and 5.
The Stained Glass Workshop Powalisz with its works has become a permanent part of the history of sacred and secular stained glass art in Poland. It is a family workshop established in 1936 by artist Stanisław Powalisz. The company’s mission is continued by his daughter Maria and her sons.